Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 12-18-2008, 08:42 PM   #1
Captain Morgan
Let's do another U-turn

Moto: 2009 V-Strom
Default Pics of my house

*Updated the thread with a few pics of the work in progress. New pics are lower in the thread.

Well, I closed today at 2PM and immediately went in to start pulling up carpet. I got $531 back at closing, which was a nice surprise. All of these pictures are "before." I will be replacing some carpet and refinishing some hardwood (which is under carpet in some rooms). In case you don't remember, this is the outside of the house. Oh, the white railing has already been painted black, but I don't have a pic of that yet. I got a VA loan and they're extremely strict. They said there can't be any peeling paint and it was peeling and rusted on the railing. So I went out and painted it in 30* weather so I could get the loan. I wasn't going to wait on the seller to "get to it as soon as they had time." I'll paint it right in the spring when it's wamer outside:

Here is the living room. There is ugly tile underneath of this carpet, but I'm having new carpet installed on the 26th:

If you look at the left side of the living room pic, you'll see a white door, which is a walk in closet. Eventually, I'm going to remove that door and wall up that area to create more usable space. The door to the closet will be moved out to the entrance from the garage (the brown door to the left of the white door), which is in the next picture. The closet door will be on the right side where the shelves are, the garage is on the left (don't have a pic of it):

The next picture is the outside of the house where the door is located in the pic above:

The kitchen is immediately on the right hand side when you walk in the front door from the porch. The following pics are of the kitchen. The microwave, stove, and fridge will all be replaced, as well as that nasty carpet:

This is the hallway leading to the original front door of the house:

What is now the living room was an addition to the house. The door in the above picture will rarely be used.

Here is the dining room. That "wallpaper" is not actually wallpaper. It's wood paneling that originally came like that. It's getting pulled down and replaced with drywall and then painted:

Here is a "closet" in the dining room. The dining room was originally a bedroom. The "stairs" are actually headroom for going down the basement stairs:

The following pics are of my bedroom. This was originally the living room, until they added onto the house. Hence, the entrance to the house just outside of my room:

The next pics are of my daughter's room. The carpet is in very good shape and she wants the pink carpet, so I'm going to leave it there for her. She has a very small closet, which is okay for now, but will suck when she gets older:

Here is the itty bitty bathroom. I'd rather have a little more space in the bathroom, but I'm really not that worried about it (that may change in 8-10 years as my daugher gets older):

The following pictures are of the basement. The first pic is immediately as you walk down the stairs. There is more room than it looks like. This is where I'll have my weights, treadmill, etc.

The next picture is in the same half of the basement, but tucked behind the stairs and next to the water heater and furnace:

The next pic is taken with my back to the shelves in the previous pic. Nice little workbench for whatever I choose to use it for:

Last edited by Captain Morgan; 12-23-2008 at 08:48 PM..
Captain Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 08:43 PM   #2
Captain Morgan
Let's do another U-turn

The next pic is the largest area of the basement. The washer and dryer are in this area. There is a sand drain in the middle of the floor, but it's only used for the condensate line from the furnace:

Eventually, I will plug the drain, install a sump pump in a different area of the basement, move the piping and wiring to the next pic to move the laundry area, then turn the above pic into an entertainment room. This next pic will eventually be the laundry area:

Here is the backyard, which will be fenced in so my daughter has a place to play. The alley dead ends, so I don't have to worry about too much traffic back there. Notice the "hole" in the top of the gutter? It's actually hinged so the gutter can be raised for mowing:

And, here is the back of the house as viewed from the alley:

I went in today and pulled up a lot of carpet. I'll take more pics tomorrow after tearing out some of the carpet and will continue to take pics and update this thread as things are done to the house.
Old 12-18-2008, 09:03 PM   #3
DLIT
Clit Commander

Moto: 2012 Ducati 1199 Panigale S

You got a lot of work to do, man.

DLIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 09:05 PM   #4
'73 H1 Triple
restorer of the original

Moto: '93 ZR1100 &'73 Kawasaki H1 500

Congrats capt

I would highly suggest you go to your local hardware store/big box store and get a polarity tester for your electrical outlets. That will let you know if they're wired correctly ( including the ground circuit )

Jeff
'73 H1 Triple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 09:16 PM   #5
Captain Morgan
Let's do another U-turn

Quote:
Originally Posted by '73 H1 Triple View Post
Congrats capt

I would highly suggest you go to your local hardware store/big box store and get a polarity tester for your electrical outlets. That will let you know if they're wired correctly ( including the ground circuit )

Jeff

I'm replacing all of the outlets and running new wire to it. They currently only have the old 2-wire with no ground. I knew this going into it and have already purchased the wire and outlets. Also, my brothers are both electricians so it will be done right (I've done a lot of wiring myself). I expect I'll need to have it inspected after I finish the wiring and replacing the outlets.
Old 12-18-2008, 09:17 PM   #6
Dova80
Canyon Carver

Moto: MV Agusta

Captin Morgan I am drinking you, you better not run out or I will round house kick your ass into next week.

We can make assumptions all day, and you know what they say about assuming. It means you're a fucking moron.
Dova80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 09:19 PM   #7
Captain Morgan
Let's do another U-turn

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLIT View Post
You got a lot of work to do, man.
Yep, knew that going into it, but I got a good deal on the house. It's friends of my dad. Their dad and mom have lived in the house since the 60's. Their mom died last year and their dad couldn't take it anymore without her (he was in his 90's) and he shot himself. Sad story, but a lot of old people get tired of living after losing someone they've been with for years.
Old 12-18-2008, 09:42 PM   #8
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

Congrads Capt... now make it your own and welcome to home ownership. Its a rocky road sometimes... but always an expensive one!

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 10:16 PM   #9
Captain Morgan
Let's do another U-turn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
Congrads Capt... now make it your own and welcome to home ownership. Its a rocky road sometimes... but always an expensive one!

Oh, I'm already expecting that. But I only paid 52k for the house, so I knew I'd need to spend money immediately.
Old 12-18-2008, 10:20 PM   #10
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

Yeah that is a fixxer upper price. Hopefully it don't need much...

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote