Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 12-26-2008, 07:03 PM   #1
Quick281
Victim of Blazer Rapage

Moto: 06 GSXR 600
Default Switching from Verizon to AT&T

Thinking about doing it, strictly for the Iphone.

Judging from what Rae has shared with us in her thread and based on what my sister told me about her experiences, I think I am going to try it.

My RAZR is old and beat up and quite frankly I don't see anything that really interests me at the Verizon store. It would cost me 85 bucks to leave Verizon and I have the 300.00 dollars it would take to get me started on the 16gb Iphone.

As far as monthly goes it would be a bit more expensive but I would have the unlimited data access and I could go with fewer minutes. My mom has AT&T and so I could call her for free which realistically is most of my minute usage these days anyways. Regardless, I think I would be A TON happier with just a slightly higher monthly fee.

Does anyone have any caution or words of wisdom before switching over? I plan on being in Alaska next summer and winter and I know the phone will work up there, probably just as shittily as my RAZR did.

My 06 GSXR 600 <-- Its Clickable Fools.
Quick281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 07:20 PM   #2
rogue
Wanting to Go Back!!!!

Moto: A Twin

I have never had Verizon but I do have AT&T. I switched to them last year from Aw hell (Altell) because the plans were better & I get better coverage here. Not to mention the better phones through AT&T at the time.

You can get the least plan that qualifies you for unlimited data (texting/internet). Mine is 900 anytime minutes, 1500 nights and weekend minutes with unlimited M2M and rollover. Most people I talk to across the country have AT&T so I use very little of my minutes and have tons of rollover minutes. I have never had billing issues or service issues with AT&T.

As far as Alaska, did you look at their coverage map for the state? That should help.

If you're like me, a slighly higher plan is definitely worth all the texting & internet usage. I've been slacking this month, but I typically go through close to 10,000 texts and over a G of internet/media. If I'm not texting I'm

My knee pads may be Air-Ride and chrome plated but I have standards as to who I use them on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonpaco
so you're just a cougar who doesnt hunt.....a domesticated cougar
Myspace
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 07:22 PM   #3
t-homo
WSB Champion

Why not stick with Verizon and get the blackberry storm in a month?
t-homo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 08:06 PM   #4
Corey
AMA Supersport

Moto: Not a damn thing

I've done the opposite recently. I don't really have anything bad to say about AT&T in general, but I switched because I kept having problems with calls being dropped or people being sent straight to voicemail when they called without me knowing. There would be periods of about a week during each month where I would try to call out and would have my call fail. According to AT&T tech support, I should be in a really good area, but at least one week a month I'd have god awful service and would barely be able to receive a call or make one. I had the problem with three different styles of phone, so it wasn't a phone issue.

I know it doesn't happen to everyone, so take this as anecdotal. I know a few people in the area who experience the same problem. I switched to Verizon (got the Blackberry Storm) and I haven't had that problem at all.

"Your game is shit, your company is shit. Activision ruined you! Activision ruined you." - Francis
Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 08:19 PM   #5
rogue
Wanting to Go Back!!!!

Moto: A Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey View Post
I've done the opposite recently. I don't really have anything bad to say about AT&T in general, but I switched because I kept having problems with calls being dropped or people being sent straight to voicemail when they called without me knowing. There would be periods of about a week during each month where I would try to call out and would have my call fail. According to AT&T tech support, I should be in a really good area, but at least one week a month I'd have god awful service and would barely be able to receive a call or make one. I had the problem with three different styles of phone, so it wasn't a phone issue.

I know it doesn't happen to everyone, so take this as anecdotal. I know a few people in the area who experience the same problem. I switched to Verizon (got the Blackberry Storm) and I haven't had that problem at all.

I had that problem with Aw hell. If I wanted to talk at home, I had to walk outside. Granted I lived out in the sticks then, but when I changed to AT&T I didn't have that happen as often.

About a month ago a few of us (all on AT&T) were having text issues. We'd send a text and it would say it didn't go through, when most times it did. So you wound up with 3 to 5 of the same texts being sent. After a couple of days they fixed it so no more issue.

The only good thing I could say about my service with aw hell was, aside from my house, I got a decent signal in remote locations. Since I ride those areas, I was concerned about that with AT&T. So far no issue.

My knee pads may be Air-Ride and chrome plated but I have standards as to who I use them on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonpaco
so you're just a cougar who doesnt hunt.....a domesticated cougar
Myspace
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 08:22 PM   #6
JoJoYZF
Bring on the Zombies!

Moto: 2000 Yamaha YZF600R

Ive never had at&t, but Id definitely suggest checking out the blackberry storm before paying to switch. I have verizon and as of right now the storm will be my next phone. My buddy has it and its sweet and hes had no problems with it at all.
JoJoYZF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 08:55 PM   #7
Bassplayer
No, I dont play drums too

Moto: SV 650

I just switched from Metro PCS (unlited everything for 60 bucks.. crappy coverage tho) to verizon today, got myself the Voyager
Old 12-26-2008, 09:41 PM   #8
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
I kept having problems with calls being dropped or people being sent straight to voicemail when they called without me knowing.
This, plus I have a time delay between when I speak and when the other person hears it. AT&T FTL. I'm going back to Verizon.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 09:57 PM   #9
Quick281
Victim of Blazer Rapage

Moto: 06 GSXR 600

Interesting things to consider, thanks for the replies.

Some of you unhappy with AT&T should know that I am currently having those problems with Verizon, however it could to blame my old ass RAZR which has been beaten down. Voice mails just randomly pop into my phone and people have been telling me that 1 in 6 calls are getting to ring, but this is a new development.

I will probably take a look at the Storm since I am eligible for the 100.00 off.

My 06 GSXR 600 <-- Its Clickable Fools.
Quick281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 10:32 AM   #10
Method
Canyon Carver

Moto: MTA

Quote:

I've had the same experience. Been with verizon for years, switched to AT&T and switched right back.

I had nothing but dropped calls, network busy, and non-ringing incoming calls with AT&T.

Verizon has been hands down reliable for me with a semi-decent lineup of phone.
Method is offline   Reply With Quote