Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 04-13-2009, 02:41 AM   #1
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Default renters question

As many of you guys knwo we just went to contracton a house and hope to be closing in early june. Also that our landlord is a nutjob and is tryingto make our lives hell. We need to double check the lease but I believe we need to give 30 days notice before we leave, which we plan to do and not a day earleir. (he doesnt know we went to contract yet)

Were figuring on telling him may first we will be out on june 15th and wont pay any rent and use the deposit. Is this a common practice, also do youi think theres any real leagal recourse he could take. Mind you its an illegal mother daughter house and he doesnt live there so I dont know if its in his best intrests to involve the authorities.

tom
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 03:02 AM   #2
Quick281
Victim of Blazer Rapage

Moto: 06 GSXR 600

Providing the 30 days notice is wise and using the deposit as the last month's rent is quite common. At least it has been for me.

Legal or not, trying to get out of the situation without stirring up too much is always nice.

My 06 GSXR 600 <-- Its Clickable Fools.
Quick281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 03:50 AM   #3
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick281 View Post
Providing the 30 days notice is wise and using the deposit as the last month's rent is quite common. At least it has been for me.

Legal or not, trying to get out of the situation without stirring up too much is always nice.
in other situations I would give even more notice, but this guys been a real dick about stuff latley and could give us a hassle about stuff. esp if things got delayed or fell through like had happened to us with other houses. I know the laws seem to favor tennants but dont need any further hassle from him.

tom
Old 04-13-2009, 04:10 AM   #4
Quick281
Victim of Blazer Rapage

Moto: 06 GSXR 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommymac View Post
in other situations I would give even more notice, but this guys been a real dick about stuff latley and could give us a hassle about stuff. esp if things got delayed or fell through like had happened to us with other houses. I know the laws seem to favor tennants but dont need any further hassle from him.

tom
If thats the case I would wait till the house is a done deal and then give him the notice when the house is yours. Even if it may mean paying an extra months rent.

From the sounds of the dude you want to burn this bridge, just make sure you are safely on the other side first!

My 06 GSXR 600 <-- Its Clickable Fools.
Quick281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 04:27 AM   #5
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick281 View Post
If thats the case I would wait till the house is a done deal and then give him the notice when the house is yours. Even if it may mean paying an extra months rent.

From the sounds of the dude you want to burn this bridge, just make sure you are safely on the other side first!
Exactly, word is were going to go to closing and move in in early june, we should know a more exact date this week, since the seller just got her stuff together for her move too.

tom
Old 04-13-2009, 04:46 AM   #6
Corey
AMA Supersport

Moto: Not a damn thing

Check your lease and see if you're on a 30 or 60 day notice. While the renter may not want to involve any kinda legal shit, they could create a hell of a hassle in terms of cash and annoyance. My last apartment complex tried to keep my deposit by claiming we didn't give full notice. I had the paperwork proving that I did, but it was a minor clusterfuck trying to get things straightened out.

"Your game is shit, your company is shit. Activision ruined you! Activision ruined you." - Francis
Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 05:03 AM   #7
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey View Post
Check your lease and see if you're on a 30 or 60 day notice. While the renter may not want to involve any kinda legal shit, they could create a hell of a hassle in terms of cash and annoyance. My last apartment complex tried to keep my deposit by claiming we didn't give full notice. I had the paperwork proving that I did, but it was a minor clusterfuck trying to get things straightened out.

Its def not 60, its either 30 or 45 days. We figure he will mess around with giving back the deposit so we just wont pay for may and the part of june that we will be there. he has us pay him in cash to minimize his paper trail so there would be some difficulty if he tried pulling stuf flike that.

Tom
Old 04-13-2009, 05:31 AM   #8
Corey
AMA Supersport

Moto: Not a damn thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommymac View Post
Its def not 60, its either 30 or 45 days. We figure he will mess around with giving back the deposit so we just wont pay for may and the part of june that we will be there. he has us pay him in cash to minimize his paper trail so there would be some difficulty if he tried pulling stuf flike that.

Tom
Good luck to you Tom, the sooner you can get outta that situation and into your own house, the better.

"Your game is shit, your company is shit. Activision ruined you! Activision ruined you." - Francis
Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 05:35 AM   #9
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey View Post
Good luck to you Tom, the sooner you can get outta that situation and into your own house, the better.
Oh i know esp with all the drama going on with the guy downstairs who died, now his ex gf is taking over the place and her and I hate each other, she got upset when i put her in her place and called her trailer trash minus the trailer

If he gives us more grief I may have a house leaving party with lots of beer and try to invite people over to see who can break the most stuff

Tom
Old 04-13-2009, 07:24 AM   #10
CrazyKell
Vrooom

Moto: 06 ZX6R

In Canada the landlord has to pay you interest on your deposit so you don't use the last month's rent to pay for the last month because you'd be screwing yourself out of the interest.

Make sure you give the notice the day BEFORE the 45 or 30 days otherwise they can get you on that little technicality too.
CrazyKell is offline   Reply With Quote