Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 05-21-2009, 01:23 AM   #1
Frostz28
Redneck

Moto: 2005 GSXR 750
Default friend went down today

So I went for a ride with a new group today. Not a bad group to ride with a couple guys were a lot better and rode up front. They didn't get to crazy just rode a decent pace in the twisties and then slowed up and waited for the rest. Then there were a couple of guys who was a bit slower and one who had his girlfriend with him. We came into a section of twisties so me and three other guys were in front and hit em at a decent pace, again nothing dangerous or to crazy. One of the faster guys was bringing up the rear and apparently decided he wanted to be up front so he passed the slower guys to catch up. well something went wrong and he ran wide on a curve and put her down. The front group didn't see the crash but I knew something was wrong when the rest of the pack wasn't behind us so we turned around, apparently no one really saw it but when they got to him his legs were under the gaurdrail and his upper body was hanging over the top. (Like he was hugging it) He's ok a pretty busted up nose but otherwise hes going to be just fine. Just so you guys don't think hes a complete idiot I followed him for quite a while and he really could ride, good body position, took a good line, and seemed to be riding well with in his limits. Also he was wearing a jacket and helmet. Which brings me to my main question. He was wearing a helmet and said it was strapped but during the accident his helmet came off! it ended up in the corn field on the other side of the gaurd rail. How could that happen? Ive seen guys crash way harder and not lose their lid. could it have come undone? the only thing I can think of was that his helmet was SOOO big on him that it slipped off with the chin strap still done. Is that even possible though? I mean wouldn't it have to be so lose that it wouldn't be comfortable? It was a scorpion so it wasn't a super cheap helmet or anything. I was just about to order up and EXO1000 helmet this week but now Id like to get to the bottom of this first. I don't know who got to his lid first so I don't know if it was still strapped when they retrieved it from the field. Any of you guys ever heard of anything like this? or have any idea how it could have happened. personally I think if it was strapped on and the correct size he may have a lawsuit on his hands. I mean if the chin strap came undone that's gotta be a malfunction of some kind doesn't it? on a positive note when we got up to the town where they took him one of the guys (who wasn't wearing gear) asked me if I knew of any bike shops in the area. I took him over to a dealership and he bought 700 dollars worth of gear on the spot! he got a nice leather jacket and what seems to be a real decent joe rocket carbon fiber lid. Don't know much about JRs lids but I figgered any lid was better than none. So at least the accident turned one guy into a safer rider.

"Guys like me drink to many beers on Friday after work, our best blue jeans have skoal rings, we wear our boots to church"
Frostz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 01:29 AM   #2
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

Seen that happen to a shoie a few years back, the guy hit a car that turned in front of him, and somehow his leg got caught on the bike, and he didn't move at all except for a very abrupt stop. The helmet just went flying like he threw it. The guy that went to got get the helmet later even noticed that it was strapped down tight, and if I remember correctly it fit him right.

It may just be one of those things that a very abrupt stop like that the helmet can somehow force its way off your head, possibly if the foam compresses?
Old 05-21-2009, 10:18 AM   #3
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

Perhaps it follows the same principle as shoes...when a person is hit by a car, how often do their shoes, even snugly tied tennis shoes fly off their feet?

I've got the 1000, I cant possibly imagine it coming off without doing major damage to my head in the process, but I have a feeling it didnt have anything to do with the brand of helmet...
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 10:28 AM   #4
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Moto: '12 CB1000R

Just a thought.. One of the scorpions with pump up cheek pads? Air compresses rather easily..
Tmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 10:32 AM   #5
Rider
Moto GP Star

When I went down my shoei struck the ground pretty hard. There was some super deep gouges on the very back of the helmet. It wasn't even close to coming off. Of course I always make sure my chin strap is snug.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 10:34 AM   #6
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

He didnt say the guy was weaing the 1000, just that he wanted one...and I can tell ya, even if the cheeks are "pumped" up, if the helmet fits like it should, the cheek pads really dont make that big a difference. The only thing they do is snug around the cheeks and lower face to keep that lil bit of wobble out for narrower faces.
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 10:37 AM   #7
wildchild
cruiser

Moto: '09 HD superglide, 16 Yamaha FZ 09

I've seen it happen at motocross races as well. Usually it is because of poor fit or not tightly fastened.
they can come off just from forse though as well. It's one of those 1 in a million situations. Not a fault of the helmet.
wildchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 10:45 AM   #8
OTB
The Man

Moto: 00 Bimota DB4

Biggest problem with helmet retention is proper fit. Too loose = fail.

If the helmet can move fore/aft or twist even slightly side-to-side it can come off during a wreck. When I was in my teens I wore helmets too loose, thinking they were more comfortable; it wasn't till I started racing and one of the knowledgable tech guys checking my gear (on me) told me he couldn't let me out on the course until I got a helmet that fit. I got a quick how-to from the tech guy on how to have the best (read snug) fit. Had to borrow one from a friend that fit better; go back and get re-teched. Made a world of difference in my comfort riding, and I've been down on the track at 100+ and never lost my helmet, nor have I seen other lose theirs in some horrendous crashes.

I'm not saying that a good-fitting helmet properly attached can't come off....but it's doubtful you'd survive the other injuries going with the amount of G's required to dislodge it.

JMHO
OTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 11:11 AM   #9
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

it was attached but was it snug?

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 11:43 AM   #10
Frostz28
Redneck

Moto: 2005 GSXR 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Particle Man View Post
it was attached but was it snug?
ya thats the thing. I don't know all the details. I just met the kid yesterday so I havent been around him enough to notice if his helmet fits right. (or know him well enough to ask while hes layin there with his face all busted up) I also don't know how snugly he had the strap done. It could have been a combination of a helmet that was a bit big and a loosely done chin strap.

"Guys like me drink to many beers on Friday after work, our best blue jeans have skoal rings, we wear our boots to church"
Frostz28 is offline   Reply With Quote