Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 06-19-2009, 12:04 PM   #1
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2000 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird
Default 1984 Honda Z50 R....any experience?

The guy I'm trading my FZ1 to has a Z50R and some accessories that he's going to throw in on the deal. Looks like a fun bike, it'll be my son's (5 year old) learner bike. Wondering if anyone has experience with this bike, how it performs, how easy is it to work on, etc. etc.

I learned to ride on an '82 XR 80 so I think it'd be kinda cool to have him learn on this old school Honda too.

Here's a picture of an example of the bike, I don't have pics of the actual yet.

________
MERCEDES-BENZ 320 HISTORY

Last edited by Kaneman; 05-09-2011 at 08:01 PM..
Kaneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 12:14 PM   #2
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneman View Post
The guy I'm trading my FZ1 to has a Z50R and some accessories that he's going to throw in on the deal. Looks like a fun bike, it'll be my son's (5 year old) learner bike. Wondering if anyone has experience with this bike, how it performs, how easy is it to work on, etc. etc.

I learned to ride on an '82 XR 80 so I think it'd be kinda cool to have him learn on this old school Honda too.

Here's a picture of an example of the bike, I don't have pics of the actual yet.

I've ridden a Honda 50 when I was a kid and I know that the old ones are damn near indestructible! I think it's the same motor as a Spree/Cub so your Grand kids could learn on it as well! I've seen examples and heard stories of people riding the things for years without ever changing the oil or doing any maintenance of any kind! What bike are you getting, btw?
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 12:19 PM   #3
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
I've ridden a Honda 50 when I was a kid and I know that the old ones are damn near indestructible! I think it's the same motor as a Spree/Cub so your Grand kids could learn on it as well! I've seen examples and heard stories of people riding the things for years without ever changing the oil or doing any maintenance of any kind! What bike are you getting, btw?
I'm trading my 2002 FZ1 with 21k miles for a 94 Honda Magna with 10k miles and tons of accessories, plus the Z50 with a spare engine that needs carb work and an air compressor, lol. Bartering FTW.

I can't stay out of the throttle of the FZ1, and while the Magna is not a slouch it doesn't encourage triple digit speeds. Can't get anymore tickets.
________
Infant Depakote

Last edited by Kaneman; 05-09-2011 at 08:01 PM..
Old 06-19-2009, 12:24 PM   #4
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
I'm trading my 2002 FZ1 with 21k miles for a 94 Honda Magna with 10k miles and tons of accessories, plus the Z50 with a spare engine that needs carb work and an air compressor, lol. Bartering FTW.

I can't stay out of the throttle of the FZ1, and while the Magna is not a slouch it doesn't encourage triple digit speeds. Can't get anymore tickets.
Wow dude, I'm not gonna do any trading with you! Hey, if it makes you happy and it's what you want then I say go for it! Though, you could have just gotten a radar detector you know...
Old 06-19-2009, 12:27 PM   #5
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Wow dude, I'm not gonna do any trading with you! Hey, if it makes you happy and it's what you want then I say go for it! Though, you could have just gotten a radar detector you know...
Well I also wanted to try something new, plus the FZ1 is making the lower half of my body go numb after about 40 miles. I've had it two years and its always been comfy up until now. I don't know...maybe its an age thing.

KBB on the FZ1 is about a grand more than the Magna. Its not a completely even trade, but we'll see.
________
Iolite vaporizer butane

Last edited by Kaneman; 05-09-2011 at 08:02 PM..
Old 06-19-2009, 12:32 PM   #6
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Its by no means a done deal yet, just still talking to the guy and feeling it out.

Here's a picture of the Magna.

________
THE CIGAR BOSS

Old 06-19-2009, 12:37 PM   #7
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Its by no means a done deal yet, just still talking to the guy and feeling it out.

Here's a picture of the Magna.
Nice bike!!! Throw some pipes on there and vroom, vroom!!!
Old 06-19-2009, 12:45 PM   #8
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Nice bike!!! Throw some pipes on there and vroom, vroom!!!
He's already modified the exhaust, I haven't heard it yet but I know those V4's can have a unique and cool sound to them.

Here's the mods as listed on the ad:
- Corbin gunfighter seat and stock Honda seat
- Chrome seatback included
- Memphis Shades "Hellcat" windshield
- Highway pegs
- Shortened rear turn signal stalks
- Cobra 2" lowering kit
- Shortened factory exhaust baffles for a bit louder and meatier sound
- California Car Cover Co motorcycle cover

I'd probably put it back to stock height...depending on how it rides I guess. Mainly I like that it has the Corbin and a backrest.

________
HARMED BY ZOLOFT

Old 06-19-2009, 01:01 PM   #9
wildchild
cruiser

Moto: '09 HD superglide, 16 Yamaha FZ 09

I had the old style Honad 50 as a kid. Lots of kids had the new z50R around here when my son was starting out racing. They seem just as bulletproof as before.

BTW you'll be wanting to explore this site a little bit.
http://magnariders.com/
wildchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 02:01 PM   #10
No Worries
Keyboard Racer

Moto: Old Superbikes

Quote:
He's already modified the exhaust, I haven't heard it yet but I know those V4's can have a unique and cool sound to them.

Here's the mods as listed on the ad:
- Corbin gunfighter seat and stock Honda seat
- Chrome seatback included
- Memphis Shades "Hellcat" windshield
- Highway pegs
- Shortened rear turn signal stalks
- Cobra 2" lowering kit
- Shortened factory exhaust baffles for a bit louder and meatier sound
- California Car Cover Co motorcycle cover

I'd probably put it back to stock height...depending on how it rides I guess. Mainly I like that it has the Corbin and a backrest.
It is a VFR750 engine, so you can't go wrong there. But I have a Corbin Gunfighter on my CBR1000. I like the stock seat better because the Corbin is harder and confines you to one position. And a 2-inch lowering kit on a bike with a 28-inch seat height? I don't think it will be any more comfortable than the FZ1.
No Worries is offline   Reply With Quote