Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 07-28-2009, 02:51 PM   #1
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750
Default Any network admins here?

I'm not one, but I have a question for you: In this modern era where I can go to Staples and buy a 16GB usb for only $20, why do you need to put a 200MB size limit on your company's email accts? I am calling BS on my employer's claim that it would cost too much to increase it.

Last edited by Homeslice; 07-28-2009 at 03:02 PM..
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 03:23 PM   #2
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
I'm not one, but I have a question for you: In this modern era where I can go to Staples and buy a 16GB usb for only $20, why do you need to put a 200MB size limit on your company's email accts? I am calling BS on my employer's claim that it would cost too much to increase it.

Server hardware sho is spensive k'pared to consumer stuff
so is arrangin fer upgrades

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 03:41 PM   #3
LeeNetworX
SFL Expatriate #1

Moto: '09 Triumph Speed Triple

Server hardware costs more. So does the bandwidth needed to backup/replicate your data. Also, many companies have strict archiving policies and don't want employees keeping e-mails that are x years old - limiting your storage size is another way to try and get you to keep only your recent communications.
LeeNetworX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 03:44 PM   #4
pauldun170
Serious Business

Seriously....it is more expensive hardware and the work involved.

A 200mb limit on mailboxes is reasonable when combined with retention policies.
To hit that 200mb you either need a lot of old emails or a lot of attachments.

Attachments should be kept in the appropriate place (not email) and old email should be purged or stored appropriately for a bazillion reasons.

If it's so damn important TO THE COMPANY that you need to keep it, store it in a place accesible to anyone. Not in an exchange account.

(lee beat me to it)

Quote:
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
Old 07-28-2009, 03:46 PM   #5
LeeNetworX
SFL Expatriate #1

Moto: '09 Triumph Speed Triple

Also, it's not just the cost of the hardware; there's also associated costs with keeping that hardware running. Electricity / load, rack space, A/C to keep the equipment running at an acceptable temp, etc. Every time you add another device or drive array you are adding to your recurring costs to maintain it.
LeeNetworX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 03:48 PM   #6
askmrjesus
Soul Man

Moto: '0000 Custom Turbo Cross (with jet kit).

Quote:
Dear Mr. Slice,

We here at Blamo Corp., take the happiness of our employees seriously. Very seriously. In fact, aside from the worst sales record in decades, the sinking global economy, and several pending sexual harassment lawsuits leveled against Peterson over in accounting, your e-mail size limit concerns are at the top of our list of shit to worry about.

Nevermind that you spend most of your time here at Blamo, posting on internet motorcycle boards, we really, really, really want you to be happy. So, we have a suggestion: Build your own fucking server if you don't like ours.

Alternatively, you could get your slacker ass back to work, and stop wasting our time and money.

Sincerely,

Blamo Corp. Management

cc: JC
Old 07-28-2009, 04:00 PM   #7
KSGregman
Get Fit...or Get OUT

Moto: 07 M109-R

Quote:
Originally Posted by askmrjesus View Post
Dear Mr. Slice,

We here at Blamo Corp., take the happiness of our employees seriously. Very seriously. In fact, aside from the worst sales record in decades, the sinking global economy, and several pending sexual harassment lawsuits leveled against Peterson over in accounting, your e-mail size limit concerns are at the top of our list of shit to worry about.

Nevermind that you spend most of your time here at Blamo, posting on internet motorcycle boards, we really, really, really want you to be happy. So, we have a suggestion: Build your own fucking server if you don't like ours.

Alternatively, you could get your slacker ass back to work, and stop wasting our time and money.

Sincerely,

Blamo Corp. Management

cc: JC
Hahahaha......breath......hahahahaha.....
KSGregman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 04:21 PM   #8
Homeslice
Elitist

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldun170 View Post
Seriously....it is more expensive hardware and the work involved.

A 200mb limit on mailboxes is reasonable when combined with retention policies.
To hit that 200mb you either need a lot of old emails or a lot of attachments.

Attachments should be kept in the appropriate place (not email) and old email should be purged or stored appropriately for a bazillion reasons.

If it's so damn important TO THE COMPANY that you need to keep it, store it in a place accesible to anyone. Not in an exchange account.

(lee beat me to it)
If you received as much email, and as many attachments, as I do, you wouldn't want to sit around downloading every attachment and then removing it from the original message just to save a little space.

I'm pretty sure I get about 200MB every 2 weeks. This leaves only one option -----> constantly dragging old messages to my "personal" folder which is off the network. Which gets old because then I'm forced to flip back and forth between online and offline stored messages in order to find what I need.

Regarding bandwidth issues? I'm no techie, but I don't understand how a 200MB mailbox puts any stress on bandwidth, when I could if I wanted to watch any video or even movie I wanted to, which I'm quite sure uses more bandwidth than a simple email account.

Regarding cost of servers? Please, at only 200MB per employee for a company my size, this would require only 2,000 gig's worth of space.

Last edited by Homeslice; 07-28-2009 at 04:29 PM..
Old 07-28-2009, 04:35 PM   #9
pauldun170
Serious Business

Quote:
If you received as much email, and as many attachments, as I do, you wouldn't have time to download every attachment and then remove it from the message. I'm pretty sure I get about 200MB every 2 weeks. This leaves only one option -----> constantly dragging old messages to my "personal" folder which is off the network. Which gets old because then I'm forced to flip back and forth between online and offline stored messages.

Regarding bandwidth issues? I'm no techie, but I don't understand how a 200MB mailbox puts any stress on bandwidth, when I could if I wanted to watch any video or even movie I wanted to, which I'm quite sure uses more bandwidth than a simple email account.

Regarding cost of servers? Please, at only 200MB per employee for a company my size, this would require only 2,000 gig's worth of space.

What business value is being derived by allowing your lazy ass to drive a new expensive policy (how many employees at your company? Storage adds up quick) that will require a significant investment in time and resources?

What business value is being realized by allowing you to keep company data locked away in your exchange account?

Why are you receiving 200MB of email every two weeks? Is this from external clients or internal clients? In order for it to reach that level there'd have to be a lot of attachments because if it's just text emails then it does not make sense.

Quote:
Old 07-28-2009, 04:51 PM   #10
Homeslice
Elitist

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldun170 View Post
What business value is being derived by allowing your lazy ass to drive a new expensive policy (how many employees at your company? Storage adds up quick) that will require a significant investment in time and resources?

What business value is being realized by allowing you to keep company data locked away in your exchange account?

Why are you receiving 200MB of email every two weeks? Is this from external clients or internal clients? In order for it to reach that level there'd have to be a lot of attachments because if it's just text emails then it does not make sense.
Um yeah, people send attachments constantly. Internal, external, clients, etc......It's not my choice. A lot of it is internal corporate BS announcements, and a lot of it is inter-client communication. Not sure what else to say. A single Powerpoint could be 5-6 MB.

And you say "storage costs add up quick"........For a company like this with 10,000 employees, multiply that by 200 mb and the result is only 2,000 gigs. I could go to Staples and buy that much capacity for only a few hundred bucks. Granted, a business is not going to use a common consumer HD for a server, but I still don't understand why it's a big deal. How many servers would possibly be required?