Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 08-02-2009, 11:44 AM   #1
Fleck750
Spiker bike

Moto: KZ750
Default Killing time while unemployed

Friday I got axed.

Been home less than 48 hours, and I'm going apeshit.

Laundry is done, weed eating's done, all floors have been vacuumed/swept/mopped, bathroom scrubbed, errands run. Now all I have to do is wait till tomm. to go to the unemployment office.

What do you people do all day for 6 months? The b/f's unemployed too, so a butt load of things will get done by the end of this week. I feel sorry for him.
Old 08-02-2009, 11:49 AM   #2
BobTheBiker
too much time on my hands

Moto: 01 ZX6R, looking for more now.

find a big project to do, I've gotten good at finding friends who have lots of random projects to occupy the mind.
BobTheBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 11:53 AM   #3
LeeNetworX
SFL Expatriate #1

Moto: '09 Triumph Speed Triple

When I was between positions in '03 I was not working for four months. Did allot of stuff outside to get me out of the house, basically. Went mountain biking, to the pool / beach, took the dogs for long walks, went for many rides on the bike, etc. I'd go meet friends for lunch allot. And the apartment was immaculate day in / day out for the whole time. Also made dinner for the wife (then GF) every night, did all the laundry, etc. If I didn't keep myself busy I would have gone insane.
LeeNetworX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 12:09 PM   #4
Fleck750
Spiker bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeNetworX View Post
When I was between positions in '03 I was not working for four months. Did allot of stuff outside to get me out of the house, basically. Went mountain biking, to the pool / beach, took the dogs for long walks, went for many rides on the bike, etc. I'd go meet friends for lunch allot. And the apartment was immaculate day in / day out for the whole time. Also made dinner for the wife (then GF) every night, did all the laundry, etc. If I didn't keep myself busy I would have gone insane.
That will be me. I can't sit in front of a box for weeks on end. Will keep an eye on Craigslist for free crap that I can landscape the yard with. Mother is coming to visit in a few days, will have the entire house spic and span before she gets here.
Old 08-02-2009, 12:12 PM   #5
Smittie61984
I give Squids a bad name

Moto: 1996 CBR600 F3 (AKA the Flying Turd)

Look for a job?
Old 08-02-2009, 12:15 PM   #6
Fleck750
Spiker bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smittie61984 View Post
Look for a job?
Yes, I will look for a job. Sad part is, unemployment pays more than what most employers are offering at the moment. I have 6 months to be kinda choosy.
Old 08-02-2009, 12:16 PM   #7
LeeNetworX
SFL Expatriate #1

Moto: '09 Triumph Speed Triple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smittie61984 View Post
Look for a job?
It only takes a couple of days to search and apply for all of the local jobs you are interested in, and also send out blind letters to companies in the area. After that, it's basically just 15-20 mins a day checking for new job listings, and touching base with recruiters. This was the case for me, anyway.

I had spent just over 3 months trying to alter my niche in my career path and gave up and started applying and interviewing for the usual network/system engineer type jobs.
LeeNetworX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 12:21 PM   #8
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2000 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird

I converted my backroom into a bicycle shop and taught myself how to work on bicycles. Even learned how to fix English internal 3-speed hubs. I'm out in the "shop" most of the day, I buy old bikes...make them super nice, and then sell 'em on Craigslist. Usually profit around $50 or so.
________
Fix ps3

Last edited by Kaneman; 05-09-2011 at 08:40 PM..
Kaneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 12:28 PM   #9
Smittie61984
I give Squids a bad name

Moto: 1996 CBR600 F3 (AKA the Flying Turd)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneman View Post
I converted my backroom into a bicycle shop and taught myself how to work on bicycles. Even learned how to fix English internal 3-speed hubs. I'm out in the "shop" most of the day, I buy old bikes...make them super nice, and then sell 'em on Craigslist. Usually profit around $50 or so.
Awesome! I love hearing about people who take on new entrepreneurships.

If you could find a decent Tri or Road bike my buddy is looking for one since he started doing triathlons with me.
Old 08-02-2009, 12:38 PM   #10
Fleck750
Spiker bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneman View Post
We have the tools and knowledge to fix motorcycles. Have 2 sitting downstairs right now, one we are waiting for the a-hole to pay up. Anyone want a 1985 GS550? Will sell everything but the frame.

Looked into buying salvaged bikes, but you must maintain a commercial storefront in the state of Kansas. And with the economy in the toilet, no one is spending money on toys.