Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 08-09-2009, 10:23 PM   #1
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets
Default Need TV help

OK kiddies, I don't know anything about televisions. I know I have an RCA Scenium that RCA gave to me as a peace offering when their tech support fucked up, years ago. But, that is as technical as I get with these things

Needs: has to mount on the wall, good picture, not HUGE, and I don't want to break the bank.

This is intended to be an additional TV in the house, so I'd prefer a good deal that will last and be functional. I do get freaked out by flash-in-the-pan brands....

What should I be looking for?

Come Play at the Track!!

http://www.elitetrackdays.com
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 11:20 PM   #2
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

Well, I just picked up a GREAT 50 inch plasma Samsung at Best Buy, with a package deal including a Samsung surround sound, with installation and wall mount all under $1500.00. The Package with the TV and surround sound was $1000.00. The extended warranty was about $150 (great deal) with geek squad, and the installation of the wall mount by the service techs at geek squad was $350.

The problems that plasmas used to have are mostly resolved, they arent a "scary" buy anymore, and you definitely get more bang for your buck by getting plasma versus LCD. LCD may have the higher dlp: 1080 versus a reasonable 720, but for a regular tv user, it makes little difference. The plasma also have much higher HZ versus the LCD's, so the picture "tracks" motion faster (which apparently means its less blurry, great for sports, motogp anyone?!)

The LCD's are also about 100 per inch, meaning going from a 50 inch to a 52 inch, your looking at $200 bucks, whereas the plasma was $100 for 3 inches more.

Getting the install is worth the cash, as they warranty the work, and do all the mounting to insure the darn things dont fall off the wall. If your going to spend the cash on a nice tv, its worth it.
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 11:27 PM   #3
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Plasmas = dead tech, stay away, far away

Look at Samsung LCDs and LEDs, Sony LCDs, Sharp LCDs.

240Hz are really nice, 120Hz will get ya. High contrast ratio and high response time = good
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 11:15 AM   #4
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

I absolutely LOVE my plasma. I highly recommend it. Panasonic 42". 700 series I think.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 12:02 PM   #5
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

LCD ftw! Plasma will be phased out in the next few years as tv tech goes to led based lcds. Now it seems that you don't care about all of that so .

I agree that plasma WAS better for fast paced action BEFORE the advent of 120/240 hz lcds and led tvs. Those days are all but over. When a clerk steers you towards a plasma vs a lcd it's to hit a price point. Btw plasma is more susceptible to video game "burn in" than lcd... Everyone has their own opinion but the bottom line is that lcds give a much better/clearer picture and use far less energy and tend to last longer than plasma. In fact, I believe that lcd uses about half the energy as plasma and the new led tvs use about 40% less energy than lcd. So the $200 you save now will be given to the electric company in stead over the next couple years. Also, anyone that buys a tv only considering today's tech is making a mistake and they have obviously never seen 1080p. I'd rather watch the most boring program in the world in 1080p than the best, most action packed show in normal broadcast 480i. Oh and make sure your new tv has a digital/hd tuner, it will eliminate any need for a cable box, unless you have sat tv, then never mind. FWIW if you don't mind a little motion blur on occasion, you can buy a lcd VERY cheap in the 60 hz range. I've seen sales with 46'' tvs for under $1,000.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 12:06 PM   #6
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Here's a question for you LCD guys....do they get fucking hot as balls? My plasma is HOT when it's on. Sucker puts off some SERIOUS heat.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
Old 08-10-2009, 12:08 PM   #7
Rider
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
Here's a question for you LCD guys....do they get fucking hot as balls? My plasma is HOT when it's on. Sucker puts off some SERIOUS heat.
No LCD's run much cooler than plasma. LCD's are lighter as well.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 12:10 PM   #8
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
No LCD's run much cooler than plasma. LCD's are lighter as well.
Fuck.

Quote:
Old 08-10-2009, 12:13 PM   #9
Rider
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
Fuck.
It's still better than my rear projection POS. It's almost dead though.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 12:14 PM   #10
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

I love my plasma...it's just insanely hot. And my electric bill did go up a bit since I got it 2 years ago.

Quote: